PCA Industry Standards
PCA developed its Industry Standards to make the painting and decorating industry transparent to both painting contractors and consumers.
The PCA Industry Standards:
- Provide the measure by which the quality of wall coating work can be evaluated by the consumer.
- Protect the contractor by establishing limits on the extent and verifiable uniformity of a project.
- Protect the consumer by requiring work that is free from defects, deficiencies and significant variations of coating applications.
- Save contractors time and money when used and referenced in painting work bids and contracts.
The Standards discuss a range of issues that commonly become the subject of misunderstandings, or in extreme cases, contract disputes and provide guidance for both the contractor and the layman concerning how such differences can best be avoided.
All participants in the architectural, engineering, design, construction, and painting & wall-covering industry benefit from the use and circulation of the PCA Industry Standards. All consumers benefit from the use of PCA Standards by those they contract with, to provide best value for their painting and decorating expenditures.
Download Individual PCA Standards
- Industry Standard P1 - Touch Up Painting and Damage Repair: Financial Responsibility and Definition of a Properly Painted Surface
- Industry Standard P2 - Third Party Inspections: Qualifications, Responsibilities, and Procedures
- Industry Standard P3 - Designation of Paint Color
- Industry Standard P4 - Responsibility for Inspection and Acceptance of Surfaces Prior to Painting and Decorating
- Industry Standard P5 - Benchmark Sample Procedures for Paint and Other Decorative Coating Systems
- Industry Standard P6 - Acceptance of Completed Wallcovering
- Industry Standard P7 - Job Sequencing
- Industry Standard P8 - Owner’s Responsibility for Maintenance of Paints and Coatings
- Industry Standard P9 - Definition of Trade Terms
- Industry Standard P10 - Measurement of Surface Area for Estimating Painting and Decorating Work
- Industry Standard P11 - Painter’s Caulk, Implied Requirements
- Industry Standard P12 - Levels of Block Filler
- Industry Standard P13 - The Inspection and Acceptance of Architectural Paints on the Interior Surfaces of Structures When Dry Film Thickness is Specified
- Industry Standard P14 - Levels of Surface Preparation for Repainting and Maintenance Projects Receiving Architectural Coatings
- Industry Standard P15 - Painting of Shop Primed Substrates
- Industry Standard P16 - Wallcovering Removal in Preparation for New Finishes or Wallcovering
- Industry Standard P17 - Field Painting of Smooth Faced Tilt-Up Concrete
- Industry Standard P18 - Recommended Protocol for Documenting Extra Work to a Contract
- Industry Standard P19 - Definition and Application of Decorative Finishes
- Industry Standard P20 - Recommended Protocol for Job Close Out of Painting and Decorating Projects
- Industry Standard P21 - Designation of Stain and Clear Coating on New Interior Wood
- Industry Standard P22 - Cleaning Surfaces Using Pressurized Water
- Industry Standard P23 - Painting and Decorating Contractors Implied Exclusions from Scope of Work (2nd Draft)
- Industry Standard P24 - Recommended Protocol for Spot Repairing Existing Finishes
- Industry Standard P25 - Allowance for Reasonable Damage Repair Painting (4th Draft)